Friday, December 08, 2006

TechTracks 2

Yesterday the State Library held the second class in their TechTracks series, in the TLC. This one was on tagging. I have to admit that this was a little more of a stretch for me. I think LibraryThing is a cool site, but I don't know if I'll really take full advantage of it or not. I like the idea of looking to see what books and authors are popular and what words people use to describe their reading, but I'm not a compulsive list maker. Well, that's not strictly true. I do keep a list of everything I've read and I like the idea of "unreads," but certainly don't have a cell phone with web address to access the list when I'm on the prowl for a good book to read. Guess I'll just have to spend more time playing with LibraryThing to see. I'm told that it's addictive, so we'll see. I know some of you have been using this site and are big fans. What do you think? (Oh, I did like the new books example Julie gave. I think something like that would be a great addition for patrons. Just keeping up with it would be the challenge. And which new titles would you add? And how many?)

Now the tagging aspect of Del.icio.us is an exciting one for me, on the other hand. How great to be able to get to your favorite web sites no matter what computer you're using! Just think if we used these in our branches or departments and added to the site as we stumbled across things, so that we had the benefit of everyone's experience, all organized and viewable at any staff computer. Who's going to be using this right away?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home